Offshore fishing trips are a fun thing to do on a South Carolina vacation. At Hilton head Fishing Charters, our fishing charters can be customized for 3-10 miles off shore or go on a true deep sea fishing experience in Hilton Head! Now that you booked your offshore fishing charter, you’re probably wondering what to pack for a day on the boat.
It’s important to bring plenty of layers if you’re planning to go out on an offshore fishing charter. Even on the warmest days, you may notice large drops in temperature especially that far away from the shore. Additionally, if you’re leaving the dock for your inshore / nearshore fishing trip early in the morning, you can’t rely on the sun to keep you warm from the start. At the same time, you’re not going to have a lot of shade out on our vessel so you need to make sure can take off outer layers if you need to.
Here are our recommendations of what to bring on your offshore fishing charter:
- Windbreaker. This will protect you from spray and keep you warm on early morning starts.
- Shorts during the late spring and summer; long pants if not.
- Lightweight shirt. Wearing a shirt will protect your arms and shoulders from sunburn. Linen is perfect for keeping the heat away from your skin.
- Light colored clothing. This reflects the sun to keep you cool in hot weather.
- Gloves. These will keep your hands protected from sunburn, bad weather and line cuts.
- Non-skid rubber soled shoes. Sneakers are perfect – flip flops aren’t recommended!
If you’re planning to go offshore fishing in Hilton Head, then you have probably already thought about packing sunblock. We always recommend that you pack this even on overcast days. A lack of shade on our boat plus the ocean’s reflective glare can provide a very uncomfortable and unsafe experience if you’re not protected. At the same time, conditions can change very quickly out at sea. Unexpected downpours can turn your offshore Hilton Head fishing charter into a nightmare if you are unprepared.
Here is what we suggest you pack for your offshore or offshore fishing charter:
- Sunscreen. Make sure to get one that protects from both UVA and UVB rays.
- Lip balm. Lip balm with sun protection will stop your lips getting chapped out on the water.
- Hat. Hats with brims provide shade and decrease the risk of sunstroke.
- Polarized sunglasses. These will cut through the glare on the water to give you a better view of your target fish.
- Waterproof jacket and rain pants. These are essential if you come across bad weather.
Being so far from the shore during a deep sea fishing trip, it’s a good idea to bring any medication you think you might need on the boat with you so you have a safe and enjoyable experience.
You may want to bring these items on your Hilton Head offshore fishing charter:
- Seasickness medication. If you’re prone to seasickness stock up on over the counter remedies like Bonine® and Dramamine® . These are effective but should be taken a couple of hours in advance of the fishing trip. It’s always best to avoid combining anti nausea remedies with coffee. Avoid having too much to drink the night before if you want to have a puke-free trip!
- Bug spray. This is an essential. Where there’s water, there are bugs, so come prepared!
- Small first aid kit. Come equipped with band aids and antiseptic cream. Hilton Head Fishing Charters provides these on every offshore and offshore fishing charter, but it’s always good to be prepared with your own means of dealing with minor cuts and grazes.
- Hand sanitizer. No one wants to eat a sandwich when his or her hands are covered in fish slime.
You should bring a variety of bags and containers on your offshore fishing charter. This lets you bring your stuff on board without worrying that it will be damaged by sea salt and spray.
Make sure to pack these items on your offshore fishing charter:
- Backpack. You don’t need a fishing backpack any sturdy bag will usually do the job.
- Collapsible cooler. This can easily fit into your luggage and will keep any food and drink you want to take on board with you fresh and cool. Don’t forget a double zip lock bag filled with ice from your hotel or gel ice packs.
- Drinking bottle. Keeping water or an energy drink in a sports bottle will keep you hydrated and you won’t have to worry about leaks or spills.
- Waterproof bag. It’s a good idea to bring small waterproof zip lock bag for your electronic items and important documents such as your driver’s license and fishing license.
Other Offshore Fishing essentials
Lastly, you’ll want to pack these essential items for your Hilton Head, SC fishing charter:
- Camera. A camera or smartphone is essential for you to record your Hilton Head Fishing Charters trophy catch. Consider investing in a chest harness to record the thrill of a fight without having to let go of the rod to use the controls.
- Hand towel. Fishing can get messy!
- For serious anglers: If you don’t want to leave home without your favorite rod and reel.
If you haven’t booked your offshore fishing charter yet, now’s the time! Our Hilton Head fishing charters offer a great fishing experience that’s customized for your small group. Book the trip of a lifetime and join us for offshore fishing off the coast of South Carolina!